Thursday 11 August 2011

London Calling @ the top of the dial, after all this, Won't you give me a Smile?

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

The infamous song by the Clash has never seemed more poignant nor apt, although I don't actually live by the river. I have felt dejected, disheartened, ashamed and embarrassed of the barbaric antics that have taken over London this August. I love London, I feel defensive of it, I get protective of it and most of the time my heart swells with pride to be a Londoner, especially in summer. But this year a small part of me was crushed when I saw the way so many youths and adults were behaving towards their neighbours and local independent businesses. What kind of small-minded cretins would want to trash and set fire their own neighbourhoods? Needless to say I'm still in shock but hopeful that we have seen the worst of the damage. Rant over and chin up - here are some wonderful photographs of the events on Mare Street as captured by Leon Mark and Ruben Moreira:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Counter